It’s beginning to look a lot like winter.
It’s that time of the year again. The one where the shiny polish of the new year is starting to wear off and the chilly days of winter set into a monotonous pattern. You’re busy enough mustering the energy to keep up with your resolutions – going to the gym, finally taking those art courses you’ve been talking about, or spending more time with friends and family.
When you’re busy conquering the world, sometimes dinner can feel like a last-minute concern. And hey, we get it. We want you to be the best version of yourself! So fear not, Souper Stars, we’ve got a few things up our sleeves to ensure your winter months aren’t filled with forgettable meals.
We can’t change the weather, but we can guarantee you delicious (and easy!) dinner ideas to help you and your family spice up your life.
A little comfort goes a long way.
Soup is great. Believe us, we’re experts. But that doesn’t mean soup is a lonely king on the mountaintop. Far from it. Soup knows how to throw a good banquet, and it’s an open guest list. There are so many things you can pair soup with, but few foods have as iconic a status as bread. This week we’d like to introduce you to our cheddar and garlic scones. This twist on a classic pairing will do wonders for your mind, soul, and belly. The result? A meal that rocks your world, not your budget.
The best part about this recipe? You probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry right now! And it’s so simple, you can probably throw it all together and toss it in the oven in less time than it would take you to do the mental gymnastics of figuring out whether it’s worth putting on your “real world” pants to run to the store and grab dinner. So what are you waiting for?
A note about this recipe.
Like most of our offerings, the recipe for our cheddar and garlic scones is very versatile. Feel free to play around and add other spices and ingredients, just keep in mind that you want to maintain the ratio of wet and dry ingredients listed above.
No buttermilk on hand? No worries. You can either make your own (add 1 tsp of vinegar to 1/3 cup of milk and let sit until thick) or sub in milk, half and half, or sour cream.
The Original Soupman™ Garlic Cheddar Scones
- Potatoes – 3 lbs, peeled and sliced
- Flour – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 6 tbsp
- Cheese – 1 cup, grated
- Parsley – ½ cup, chopped fine
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Cayenne – ½ tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Buttermilk – 1/3 cup
- One pack Original Soupman Lobster Bisque
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Cube butter and add to bowl. Using your hands, sift the butter and flour together until the lumps of butter have been evenly distributed with the flour mixture.
- Add cheese, parsley, garlic powder, and cayenne. Mix with your hands until everything is combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk until combined. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Dough will be sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn dough out and form into a rounded loaf.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into wedges and transfer to a baking sheet. (Chef’s tip: If you’re using aluminum foil, use a baking spray to prevent sticking.)
- Toss those babies into the oven for 20-23 minutes, until golden. Then do your best to wait for them to cool before pairing with your favorite Soupman soup – we highly recommend Original Soupman Lobster Bisque.
Never experience “No soup for you!” by getting a Soupman Soup Club membership! Just choose your membership level and we’ll send you your choice of a 6-pack of soup. Plus, you’ll get a discount on all Soupman swag.