Seriously, what’s more comforting than soup?
Bone-chilling cold fronts, dwindling daylight, and the busy nature of the holiday season make soup the ideal meal during this time of year. There’s a reason people gravitate toward the mythical powers of soup – it’s legit.
At Soupman, we stand proudly behind our soups, and feel confident that just one bowl will have you hooked. But we want to let you in on a little secret.
Soupman soup is so much more than soup. It’s a tool to transform and recreate, to turn cliché classics into memorable meals.
There’s something to be said for tradition
Who doesn’t love a nice roast or bopping along to jolly songs while you make your commute? But, occasionally traditions can feel overworked.
Holiday menus can feel like a lineup of the usual suspects. Sometimes we get caught up in the fallacy that tradition means we have to stick to the same blueprint every year. Rinse, repeat, overeat.
What if we told you there’s another way?
That isn’t to say that tradition is boring – far from it! Taking the time to spruce up traditions – putting our own mark on them – can help guide us into better understanding and awareness of why we celebrate. And what better way to start than giving our holiday menus a shakedown?
As 2017 winds down, we hope you take the time to reflect on the traditions in your life and how you can build upon them. Below is our suggestion for a seasonal seafood side that shakes things up a bit while still managing to tick all the boxes in the taste category.
This lobster au gratin is more than just an excuse to celebrate carbs – it’s the opportunity for you to take chances, craft your own traditions, and make memories.
The Original Soupman™ Lobster au Gratin
- Potatoes – 3 lbs, peeled and sliced
- Onion – ¾ cup, diced
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Flour – 1/3 cup
- Heavy whipping cream – 1 ½ cups
- One pack Original Soupman Lobster Bisque
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Red Pepper – ½ tsp
- Worcestershire – 2 tsp
- Mozzarella – 12 oz
- Gruyere – 4 oz
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter your casserole dish.
- Place the first layer of sliced potatoes in the dish, covering the bottom (you want to fill the space, but don’t worry about overlapping all the gaps at this point). Take half of the chopped onion and sprinkle it over the bottom layer of sliced potatoes.
- Place another layer of potatoes atop the onions. Sprinkle remaining half of chopped onion. Create your final layer of potatoes – if you have a few extra slices left just squeeze ‘em in wherever you can fit them!
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once it starts bubbling, but before it gets brown, add in the flour and stir with a whisk to combine. Keep whisking for about a minute, taking care to sort out any lumps.
- Pour in the whipping cream and cook until the mixture has thickened (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Pour in Original Soupman Lobster Bisque. Add salt, red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and continue stirring for another minute or two.
- Once the sauce looks like it has properly distributed all of the ingredients, turn off the heat, pour in 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce has become liquid velvet. Pour the mixture over your potato layers, spread across the top evenly, and try to contain your excitement.
- Place in the oven on a middle rack and bake for 40 minutes. Take the au gratin out and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and gruyere on top, taking care to distribute as evenly as possible. Resist the temptation to eat the cheese now – the melty, golden crust it will be reborn and is worth the wait.
- Put the au gratin back in the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until your cheese layer has gotten a nice suntan.
- Pull that bad boy out, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve. We recommend advising your guests to hold their applause until the end of the meal, but hey, this is your tradition now – do as you see fit.
Give the gift that truly warms the heart and body—a Soupman Soup Club membership! Our Platinum Membership is a delicious gift that keeps on giving all year long. Plus, we’ll include a holiday card of your choice on your behalf.